Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Steel Diver Review

Alright, out of the 3 first-party (made by Nintendo) games available at the Nintendo 3DS launch, Steel Diver is the only new IP, which means it's a totally new series/game, and not based on anything else Nintendo has made. I picked it up because I remember reading an article in a Nintendo Power magazine a couple of months ago, and they were either reviewing Iwata or Reggie Fils-Aime, I can't exactly remember which one, but whichever one it was, they said it was the can't miss first-party title in Nintendo's line-up. It was originally a tech demo for the Nintendo DS at E3 2004, it was simply called "Submarine Tech Demo". Inventive name, huh? But anyway, it hasn't changed much from back then, but that's fine, as this title has some solid gameplay. (A video showing the "Submarine Tech Demo" can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihVNJiKwxtA) Even though the gameplay is fun, some things do hold this title back. The graphics, while they aren't bad, they aren't stellar either. I mean, they're OK but they don't really show off the capabilities of the 3DS. It could've been done on the DS. Also, it's definitely not for everyone. If you can't stand games that move at a slow pace, this game is not for you. Also, I think it's odd to include Time Trials and a timer in Mission Mode when this game is so slow-paced. It just doesn't make sense to me. However, I think most people will enjoy the gameplay, and the whole submarine thing is an intriguing concept. The Periscope Mode is very fun, and a great use of the gyroscope. The controls can be off occasionally, but it doesn't happen much. I have not tried the multiplayer mode, as none of my friends with 3DS's have this game, but from what I have heard it is very good. I do have two more issues with the game though, the combat isn't very great, even though controlling a submarine is supposed to be hard, trying to get that missile in the right place is a little difficult. The other issue, this game is way overpriced and too short. You can beat the Mission mode in 2-3 hours, and while the time trials provide some replay value, they don't last long either. The game is $40, and for that price, I think we should get a lot more content. If you're going to buy it, I would wait until it was on sale or try a friend's copy before you buy.

Final Score:
7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment