Thursday, June 23, 2011

3D Classics: Excitebike Review

If you haven't got this yet, get it on the eShop. It's free until July 7th (I think), so there's no harm. If you don't see the eShop on your 3DS, you need to update your system in System Settings. Alright, let me begin by saying I never had a NES, so this is my first experience with Excitebike. I started at the SNES, so the only NES games I played until the Wii Virtual Console were the Super Mario Bros. games, of course. I now have played basically all the classics and a few not well known gems, except for Excitebike. I don't know how I let this one fly over my head, because it's such a great game. At first, I kept screwing up while landing, and I was like "What in the world? This game is terrible." But then, I figured out that you had to balance the bike using the Slider, and when I figured it out, the game was a blast. The 3D effects are really great, at first I didn't think they were great, but then I figured out that you had to adjust depth in Options. I have no idea why they didn't just make it fully controlled with the Depth Slider, but whatever, the game's 3D is amazing now. The gameplay is great, it's what you would expect from a game like this, try to beat your time or race other CPUs, keep your balance and turbo at the right time. It sounds pretty simple. but it can get very complicated when your trying to figure out the right time and way to land, and the best time to use your turbo. I love racing games, and this is a fine game in the genre. I tried the track maker, I'm terrible at those kinds of things, but I can tell it's great for people who like making their own content in games, and this time around you can save your tracks, a huge plus. Overall, this is a great freebie, and a great game overall that is probably worth paying for even after the offer is over, if the game is priced from $5-8.

Rating:
9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment